In January, I’ve been added as a device maintainer for Sony’s fusion3 platform on CyanogenMod. That platform includes the original Xperia Z line of devices (Z, ZL, ZR, Tablet Z, Tablet Z Wifi). Most of my work went into the platform and the 2 tablets, since I actually own one of these. By now, I greenlighted the tablets for CM12, and they are now official CyanogenMod nightlies. , they are my main target of development. The phones will trail a bit, since I need to rely on others to test fixes and features for me, mainly through a thread on XDA.
Thanks to Peter Hutchison, who has been working on the help file for an unbelieveable 12 years already, you can now find version 2.2.7 in the download section!
Cherish your old satnav, despite it being a bit slow? Have map updates you want to transfer over, but it takes 14 hours or more to complete? Here is a hint: stay away from USB3 ports, that should speed up the transfer… Way to go, TomTom (One, XL).
Checkpoint switched the platform for their security products from SecurePlatform to Gaia. Sooner or later, a switch to Gaia will be necessary… Well, there are plenty of documents about this topic out there. Rejoice, people, one follows right here – valid for small installations (standalone boxes, really).
First of all, you want to get the current configuration from your box. You need to understand that this consists of 2 parts: the OS level configuration (interfaces, routing table) and the CP database (rulebase, CP settings). Checkpoint provides tools for the latter, but not for the latter.
On the OLD firewall
1) Download this script
2) Get the target migration tools from Checkpoint. Either from a box with the target software installed, or from their download center
3) Copy both over to the box, by any method that works for you (TFTP, FTP, USB, magic)
4) Extract the CP upgrade_tools
5) Spread some execute permissions if necessary! “chmod +x splat2gaia.sh” and “chmod +x migrate”
For the OS level configuration
1) Execute “splat2gaia.sh”
2) Copy the output somewhere safe
For the CP database
1) Execute “migrate export”
2) Copy the resulting TGZ file somewhere safe
On the NEW firewall
1) Install a fresh Gaia image, if not already installed
2) Follow CP’s guide and finish the first time configuration wizard
Restore the OS level config
1) Get console access to the box
2) Copy the output of splat2gaia.sh over line by line, or copy it into a bash script
Restore the rule database
1) Copy the TGZ over to $FWDIR/bin/upgrade_tools
2) Execute “migrate import”
Almost done! Now, connect to the box via your newly installed SmartDashboard, and install the rule database. Only after that step will the rules be enforced!
Note: depending on how you perform the switch over to the new platform, you might get a ton of “TCP packet out of state” errors. In that case, you might want to go to general options -> stateful inspection, and disable the “drop out of state packets” for the first couple of hours of operation.
A new version is out, updated to fit for WinUAE 2.6, thanks to Peter yet again! Go and grab it! Either in the downloads section or access the online version…
After tinkering with cameras and solar power systems, it was time to play around a bit with Android – in the form of CyanogenMod. After setting up a build environment for my i9100 (a Galaxy S2 in marketing terms), I decided to help figure out a problem with open-sourcifying one of the libraries for it, namely libril (part of the radio interface layer).
This device has a history of freaking out OSS people, and libril was no different, as can be seen in the code review for the library. While the same code would work perfectly fine on similar devices with similar radios, it kept crashing on the i9100 upon dialing out. After some debugging, I found out that the UUS (user-to-user signaling) handling was causing the crash – a MEMMAP SIGSEV error!
Namely, it was
memset(&uusInfo, 0, sizeof(RIL_UUS_Info)); that caused the kernel to freak. Intermediate solution? Remove the UUS information, as it is not really mandatory. The question remains: why can’t the phone allocate the (little) memory required for this struct? Might have something to do with heap/stack allocation…
New in our Tools section: Dirty Port Testing Tool, a tiny utility to open a TCP listener and connect to it from the same UI, simple and fast. Developed in about one hour after being increasingly frustrated with having to test dozens of ports and hosts in multiple firewall setups in a lab environment…
Out of the ashes of our pitiful online version of the WinUAE help file rises a new version, courtesy of HelpNDoc. You will have to bear the advertisement at the bottom of each page, but you’ll get a fully functional index and a search function. Well worth the trade, so go and check it out!
All WinUAE fans know the drill by now: the new version is now out, tailored towards WinUAE 2.4, thanks to Peter yet again! Feel free to grab the file in the downloads section or access the online version.
Miracles do happen. No, really. After almost 4 years, a new major release of NetInventory is now available! And it has been an eventful time: 160000 lines of code have been changed. 2 new tools have joined the package to round out the functionality. Dozens of bugs have been fixed along with a almost complete rewrite in C#. The suite is now licensed under the Creative Commons CC-BY-ND license.
Some of the previously unreleased work has been on and off development since as far back as 2006. As always, we are open to comments and suggestions for improvement!
Find further details and the download link at the NetInventory page. We hope you find these tools useful, as we do in our company network.
This release is in memory of a man, without whom none of this would exist and the world does not seem the same anymore.